Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Oh Social Media

As you know, I took a hiatus from Facebook for Lent.  Then, shortly thereafter, I took a break from blogging.  A few days after deciding on a blogging break, I realized I still needed something of a Facebook break, as well.  Being away from it for so long made me realize how little I missed it.

Now, Facebook has it's good qualities, but it has been proven to "aid" in making people feel bad about themselves.  I have an issue where I see that certain people are hanging out in real life without me, and it makes me jealous.  That's not really Facebook's fault or even the fault of those people.  They are allowed to do things without me, but what I don't know doesn't hurt me, and what I do know sometimes does.

I'm sure I have done the same thing to other people, so I decided that, although I am not going to necessarily go off of Facebook completely, I'm going to be very selective from now on about what I post and what I allow myself to read.  In fact, I enacted a "no scroll" policy for awhile, as suggested by my friend, Laura.  This means I just read what pops up on my screen, but I do not scroll down.  I've gotten a little lax about that over the last few weeks, but I think I'll get back to it.

The biggest change I made was uninstalling Facebook from my smartphone.  I've only had a smartphone for about a year, but I feel like I've gotten too attached to the internet since getting one.  In some ways, smartphones are very useful, but in many other ways, it's a distraction and an obsession.  I think I'm pretty good about it generally, but I've seen a phone become an extension of some people's bodies and I could see at least a bit of that happening in myself, so I took major steps to change that.

I love that Facebook is not on my phone anymore, and that will be staying away.  I am going back to my no scroll today.  I also have decided to shut my phone completely off during my work days.  There is nothing so important that the truly important people in my life can't get a hold of me on my work phone if there is an emergency.  Everything else can wait until 5:00pm.

So, do you think that your social life is suffering from social media?  How can you take steps to still be "connected" while still being literally social in your everyday life?

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    I love that you are putting your phone away while at work!

    I have been slacking on the no scroll thing since I got sick two weeks ago. And I tend to have fb up a lot more while I'm editing photos. (I should quit that and work faster haha... but my eyes need a break sometimes!)

    I always think about how we are so over-connected that we are actually disconnected. We have become content with shallow relationships that happen over computers. We see all the news about our friends online and then when we get together we have nothing to talk about. It's a strange world that we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't have issues with FB as far as comparing myself to others or not being really connected to friends. I mean, i love fb for keeping me in touch with people i wouldn't get to see that often in real life, but for my close friends i still get together with them & have a meaningful relationship with them outside of FB. The hardest thing for me with FB is infertility - you can't check FB without seeing 1, 2, 3 OR MORE pregnancy announcements, sonogram pics, or a mom complaining about how much it sucks to be a mom (I'm exaggerating but you know what i mean!) & THAT is hard. Some days i have to take a break from it when i am just not emotionally okay to deal with that stuff!

    I think it's great though to take it off your phone if it is a distraction or obsession & I love the no-scroll policy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!