I've decided to do something a little extreme... I'm not sure how it will go, and I'm not making any promises to myself. It's something I've been considering for a little while now, but being that I was always a picky eater as a child and only recently started becoming a little more adventurous with food, I've been a little scared to try this.
I've decided to try vegetarianism... and low carb... and less sugar. I've actually tried all of these things separately in the past, but it didn't stick. I'm not sure it will this time either. But as of lunch today, I've decided to start making those choices when deciding what to eat. I have some stuff already made with meat in it that I don't want to waste, but after that is gone, I'm giving it up, at least temporarily. My goal is to make it until my vacation at the end of June. After that, we'll see what happens.
My decision to try this new lifestyle has a multitude of reasons:
1) I've been trying to figure out something to do to help me lose weight and feel healthier. I know exercise is important, but I also don't want to do extreme exercise anymore. It's just not me and I've had a hard time getting back into it after trying so hard to get fit last year and kind of failing at the results end of it. A new overall healthier lifestyle seems to fit the bill more to me.
2) I have a few friends who have gone to this lifestyle, and even more extremely to veganism. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could not handle being a vegan. Those people are rock stars in my eyes if they can live without cheese. Anyway, these people have really done well with it and they don't seem deprived in any way.
3) I've known for awhile that the best way to fight off diseases (even cancer) is to eat as clean a diet as possible. I've heard of cancer patients switching to a raw diet and literally, the cancer vanishes. Again, I can't see myself going raw, but anything that can fight off major diseases has to have merit.
Soo... I'm giving it a try. I'm taking it week by week and I'm going to try not to stress about it. Just make myself more aware of my choices and to make substitutions in my diet whenever possible.
Goals for Week 1:
1) Buy organic and fresh food on my grocery run this week. Spend most of my time in the produce section.
2) Get at least 2 days of walking in for some mild exercise.
3) Find some new breakfast and lunch options that involve mostly fruit and vegetables.
This is going to be a year of challenges for me, but I think they will all be good challenges.